December 16, 2014
By Dwight Moody
This is the 4th grant received by the AoP. The first came in 2008 in partnership with St. Matthews Baptist Church in Louisville; the second and third came in 2010 and 2012 in collaboration with Middletown Christian Church, also in Louisville. This one comes directly to the Academy of Preachers, now fully organized, incorporated, and operating from the campus of Calvary Baptist Church in Lexington (150 East High Street, 40507).
The Lilly Endowment grant expresses their confidence in our mission, our programs, and our future. We are delighted to be in partnership with the Endowment; their standards of accountability and reporting are high and push us to be our best.
Grants constitute one of six revenue streams for the Academy of Preachers. Others are gifts from friends and patrons. Our donor base is small but growing and this will need to increase as our dependence upon the Lilly Endowment decreases. We are in the midst of a donor drive now, seeking 92 donors who will give at least $5 a month through an automatic bank transfer. No fees are involved, and this is our best strategy for long term flourishing. See the SUPPORT page on this web site if you wish to participate.
December 11, 2014
By Dwight Moody
At least 120 Young Preachers, 37 exhibitors, dozens of mentors, conveners, sermon evaluators, master teachers, and friends and family will swell the gathering to 400 people. It promises to be a wonderful four days in Dallas.
Among the things I am anticipating the most are:
- leading a Master Class on “Finding Your Story” with my daughter, Kate Bringardner;
- teaming up yet again with Everett McCorvey and his American Spiritual Ensemble;
- introducing the new book of 2014 Festival sermons, “Questions of the Soul:”
- attending worship at the Highland Park United Methodist Church’
- greeting 80 Young Preachers attending their first National Festival;
- meeting with representatives of our first nine AoP chapters; and
- inviting people to come to the 2016 Festival in Lexington!
November 30, 2014
By Dwight Moody
The 2015 National Festival of Young Preachers will convene in Dallas in one month. Are you registered?
Many of the key elements are in the final stages of development:
- PREACHAPALOOZA magazine and program is almost finished
- The new book of sermons, “Whispers in the Dark” is at the printers
- All the plenary preachers and master teachers are secured and prepared
- The chartered bus, The AoP Express, is collecting riders
- More than 100 Young Preachers are preparing their Festival sermons
- QR92 donor medallions have been designed and ordered
We need your help in these final days of preparation:
PRAY. VOLUNTEER. GIVE. ADVOCATE. MENTOR. REGISTER
Giving is on my mind today.
November 18, 2014
By Dwight Moody
Any young preacher, mentor, volunteer, exhibitor, or friend of young preachers registered for the National Festival may ride the bus. Call 859-949-1000.
Cost for this round trip is only $50, payable when you step on the bus. The only other cost are two meals en route.
Pick up stops are scheduled for Louisville, Elizabethtown, and Bowling Green, all in Kentucky, and Nashville and Memphis in Tennessee. The complete schedule coming and going is below.
This will help all of our Kentucky and Tennessee friends get to Dallas in an affordable way, and it will allow this same cohort to present a warm COME TO KENTUCKY IN 2016 invitation to the entire Festival in Dallas.
Lv. from Calvary Baptist Church, Lexington 4:00 PM
Arrive Middletown, KY 5:15 PM
Lv. Middletown, KY 5:30 PM
Arrive Elizabethtown, KY 6:30 PM
Lv. Elizabethtown, KY 6:46 PM
Arrive Bowling Green, KY 7:00 PM
Lv. Bowling Green, KY 7:15 PM
Arrive Nashville, TN 8:15 PM
Lv. Nashville, TN 9:15 PM
Arrive Memphis, TN 12:15 AM
Lv. Memphis, TN 12:45 AM
Arrive Little Rock, AR 2:45 AM
Lv. Little Rock, AR 3:00 AM
Arrive Greenville TX 7:00 AM
Lv Greenville TX 8:00
Arrive Dallas Hotel 9:00 AM
Lv. Dallas, TX 2pm
SUPPER BREAK (1 hr.)
Arrive Little Rock, AR 8pm
Lv. Little Rock, AR 8.15pm
Arrive Memphis, TN 10.30pm
Lv. Memphis, TN 10.45pm
Arrive Nashville, TN 1.45am
Lv. Nashville, TN 2am
Arrive Bowling Green, KY 3am
Lv. Bowling Green, KY 3.15am
Arrive Elizabethtown, KY 5.30am
Lv. Elizabethtown, KY 5.45am
Arrive Middletown, KY 6.45am
BREAKFAST BREAK (1 hr.)
Lv. Middletown, KY 7.45am
Arrive Lexington, KY 9am
November 13, 2014
By Wyndee Holbrook
The AoP is proud to present these extraordinary homileticians with great thanks to these sponsoring institutions: Perkins School of Theology, Truett Theological Seminary, Wesley Seminary (IWU) and Wesley Seminary (Washington, DC).
- Ride The AoP Express to Dallas! November 18, 2014
- Master Classes at the Festival November 13, 2014
- From the Page to the Pulpit November 6, 2014